Tuesday, May 7, 2013

"once you learn how to die, you learn how to live"


     What a great book we just read, Tuesday with Morrie. This line stood out to me the most, "once you learn how to die, you learn how to live." What a powerful line that is. The crazy the thing about it is that it’s true. If we learn how to die, if we come to terms that one day our life will be at an end; then what’s truly stopping us from living if we accept that. It’s all a cycle and the way of life. Everything that lives will die eventually. Why is it though that we can’t seem to all be at peace with it? What are we really afraid of?
     My mom just came to visit for the first time, and I haven’t seen her in almost a year. When she is thousands of miles away across the Pacific Ocean, it’s definitely hard to say goodbye.  My mom has always been anxious about most things. Always worrying about if it’s safe or not, you know what a parent would do. That’s normal to me. Being the youngest in the family makes it even more difficult to do things because my parents are so protective. So when my mom was here, I noticed that she was worrying a lot about little things. I always told her to relax and calm down, but of course she kept worrying. It made me think about Tuesday with Morrie, because what are we really afraid in this world if we know we are going to die one day. We don’t even know how we are going leave this earth. I think worrying a lot is a sign of fear. I mean I worry all the time, I’m not saying I’m guilty of that, I’m just saying I think it doesn't matter what age you are, we are all still learning how to be at peace with the fact that death will be coming sometime in our life. This is why some people don’t fully experience the true way of living.
     I’m definitely my mother’s daughter, and just like her I worry a lot. After reading this book it definitely opened my eyes about the world around us and how we take for granted. I shared this with my mom, and she understands where I’m coming from, I guess it’s just different for everyone, ya know? People handle certain things differently, but at least I shared with my mom what I learned from this book, and I’m grateful she listened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment